For a court to consider an amendment to a pre-established custody contract, you must be able to prove that circumstances have changed significantly for you or your former spouse. If nothing is different from the time when the original custody system was ordered, a judge will not agree to change it. However, there are many circumstances that can be considered a significant change. Most divorce lawyers would tell you that you have to hire them to change custody. I don`t think so. I think each case depends on its own facts. If you have a very similar change and are familiar with the court process, you may be able to handle the change of custody on your own or with minimal assistance from our experienced divorce lawyers. If it`s not easy, you`ll need us. You can request a change in child care and care regulations at any time. You can request a change in child care and care regulations at any time. The court may find a visit and/or change in custody of the child « necessary or correct » if it is in the best interests of the child [Ca Fam No.

3022]. The parent seeking the change in custody must prove to the court a « significant change of circumstances » to support the amendment. For those interested, the main case in this area is Montenegro v. Diaz. You can click on the link and read it. For this reason, Orange County divorce lawyers and family judges call final custody orders « Montenegro`s orders. » To ask a court to amend an existing custody agreement, the parent must enter into eight steps leading to a trial. Due to the challenges and complications associated with changes to custody, it is recommended that a Sacramento family lawyer be assisted in the following steps: Child custody agreements are not permanent. In fact, California courts recommend renegotiating part of the parenting contract every two or three years if the child`s needs change. If both parents agree to the proposed changes, they simply have to submit the revised agreement for court approval. Requests for amendments for which parents disagree are more demanding and require the support of the court. Hello, I am an active military and I have a daughter from a previous marriage. Divorce, mediation and child custody agreement was reached about 8 years ago in Florida.

The agreement was 50/50, in turn weeks. Apparently, it`s out of date, and I`ve been stationed in California ever since. My ex-husband lives an hour away, and our daughter visits a few weekends and holidays. She is left with care, as she is 14 years old and does sports that can disrupt weekend visits. She`s been living with me for five years. I would like to ask the child care system in writing, legally and also to ask for help from the children. Would it be better to have a lawyer or try to do it all yourself? It pays randomly for their activities, sometimes that`s when I ask, but I want it done, so I don`t need to ask and handle excuses. The requirement for an amendment to custody of the children and access orders is based on the best interests of the child, so that the court will consider the child`s preference in the final decision. Of course, the court will consider the child`s age, maturity, intelligence and motivations when determining the weight given to the child`s preferences. As a result, the court will generally not allow a young person under the age of 12 to disclose his or her preference. To prepare for mediation and trial, consider the changes that have taken place since your last order of welcome and visitation and what kind of new education plan would be best for your children.